Henry de Bohun

Click here for Henry de Bohun’s chief manor at Trowbridge, Wiltshire

thumbnail Henry de Bohun corrected extractedHenry de Bohun was a member of the Essex-based family grouping brought to the rebel cause by kinship with Geoffrey de Mandeville and Robert FitzWalter. His family also held important blocks of lands in the west of England.

Henry (c. 1175–1220) was the son of Humphrey de Bohun (d. 1181) and Margaret (d. 1201), daughter of Henry, earl of Northumberland, and widow of Conan IV, duke of Brittany. His grandmother was Margaret de Bohun, the daughter of Miles of Gloucester, earl of Hereford, one of the earliest and most consistent supporters of the Empress Matilda in the civil war of King Stephen’s reign. Margaret brought to the de Bohuns her family’s claims to the royal constableship and to the earldom of Hereford. The constable’s office had been granted to her son – Henry’s father – by 1174 and was therefore inherited by Henry himself, who used the style ‘HeTrowbridgebaron1.previewnry the Constable’ in a number of his early charters. Despite his youth he occasionally attested charters of Richard I and was one of the king’s sureties in negotiations with the count of Flanders in 1197.

John bestowed the title earl of Hereford on Henry in 1200, albeit prohibiting him from staking any claim to the generous grants which Henry II had made in a charter to his ancestor Earl Roger of Hereford. His grandmother’s keen advocacy had been a factor in this success, but equally significant was the fact that his mother was a granddaughter of David I, king of Scotland, and his uncle William the Lion, a later king of the same. Between 1204 and 1211 he was engaged in a lengthy dispute to establish his claim to a part of his mother’s dower lands, the valuable lordship of Ryhall in Rutland. No sooner had this dispute been settled than he found himself dragged into further litigation, countering a claim by the king’s half-brother, William Longespée, earl of Salisbury, to his lordship of Trowbridge (Wilts.) on the pretext of descent from an earlier owner, Edward of Salisbury. This long drawn-out dispute was to lead to a sharp deterioration in his relations with King John. Longespée initiated the action in1212 and Earl Henry responded by resort to the time-wasting tactics characteristic of the time, pleading illness as an excuse for absence from hearings. As such an excuse was inadmissible in this sort of case, the king took the lordship into his own hands, while allowing Longespée to levy scutage (money in lieu of military service) from its tenants. The sense of hurt which the earl felt was a major factor in his support for the rebels in 1215, as John’s seizure of the lordship constituted a disseisin made ‘unjustly and without judgement’, in the wording of clause 39 of the Charter. A further claim on his allegiance was made by the ties of kinship: his wife was Maud, daughter of Geoffrey FitzPeter and therefore aunt of Geoffrey de Mandeville. By virtue of his involvement on the rebel side in 1215 he secured the restoration of the lordship, although not of the castle, of Trowbridge. Letters ordering the estate’s restitution to him were among the first to be issued in execution of the Charter. The dispute dragged on, however, and a final settlement was not reached until 1229, when Edward of Salisbury’s honour was divided equally between the claimants, Trowbridge itself going to the Countess Ela, Longespée’s widow.

On the death of King John he remained loyal to the rebel cause and he was taken prisoner with the other rebel leaders at the battle of Lincoln in May 1217. As part of the general settlement in September he made his peace with the Minority government, subsequently attending the young Henry III’s court, receiving the earl’s third penny of Herefordshire and accounting for scutage. He died on pilgrimage to the Holy Land on 1 June 1220, leaving a son and heir, Humphrey. His widow took as her second husband, sometime between 1221 and 1226, one Sir Roger de OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERADauntsey and succeeded in her own right to the earldom of Essex, which on her death was inherited by her son.

Earl Henry was buried in the chapter house of Llanthony priory, near Gloucester, the traditional burial place of the Bohuns. He was succeeded in the title by his son and heir, Humphrey, who was to live until 1275.

Earl Henry was a notable figure in the development of modern Trowbridge, as it was he who secured the grant of a market and annual fair from the Crown in 1200. From this privilege flowed the laying out of the market place along the curved line of the castle ditch, the removal of the church from the castle’s inner bailey and the construction of the present church of St James in the heart of the town. It is likely that the earl’s considerable investment in Trowbridge helps to explain his keenness to retain possession of the town in the face of William Longespée’s persistent claims.

Text courtesy of Professor Nigel Saul and the Magna Carta 800th Anniversary Committee, the arms were drawn and painted by Mr Ron Lovell and are reproduced courtesy of the Suffolk Heraldry Society

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment