Click here for Framlingham’s Magna Carta barons Roger and Hugh Bigod
Framlingham has a conservation area. The town is home to the summer arts festival Arts Framlingham, Framlingham Castle, the comprehensive secondary school Thomas Mills High School, the independent school Framlingham College, St Michael the Archangel church and Framlingham Town football club. It is also home to the two oldest working post office pillar boxes in the UK which date from 1856 and can be seen at Double Street and College Road.
It is also home to one of the smallest houses in Britain, known as “The Check House”. Converted into a two-storey residence of almost 29 square metres, the former bookmakers office is in the Mauldens Mill Estate in the town centre. The ground floor measures 6.1m x 2.2m.
The nearest stations are Wickham Market and Saxmundham. Both stations are on the East Suffolk Line.
In 2006, Country Life magazine voted Framlingham the number one place to live in the country.
Rev Nicholas Danforth and family left Framlingham to become a colonist in the Massachusetts Bay Colony in the 17th century, and property granted him became the town of Framingham, Massachusetts. Another famous son of Framlingham is the architectural theorist, archaeologist and artist Nicholas Revett. Michael Lord, a former Second Deputy Chairman of Ways and Means (deputy Speaker of the House of Commons) and MP for the town, took the title of Baron Framlingham on enoblement in order to avoid becoming ‘Lord Lord’.
With thanks to Wikipedia for its wiki about Framlingham, and to the use of its photograph.